Sunday, July 12, 2009

Summer Classes

This summer, I decided to take two on-line classes that explore using digital portfolios and Web 2.0 (Read/Write Web) tools. Arguably, I'm already using Web 2.0 in my classroom, but I am hoping there are some positive suggestions on how I can incorporate the tools in a more structured fashion. The students enjoy doing it, but I think the quality of some of their projects leaves a bit to be desired. I'd also like to be able to use the tools without feeling like I'm being sneaky. Logically, I know that I'm not doing anything wrong as long as we don't publish anything, but still... It seems a shame that my students can post and get feedback.
I'm not talking SecondLife here, or Facebook, but blogging would be really nice. So many of my students need to work on writing, and they hate it. I might get more response to vocabulary activities or summaries or resumes or job research if the students could post to a blog and then get feedback.

I've also become heavily involved in my Red Cross chapter's social media efforts, and regularly blog about events the chapter has participated in. We have everything connected through Facebook, and I have another volunteer & friend helping with the tools. We also have a volunteer that goes to the scenes and takes photographs for us to include. I see this as a good way to show the citizens of our county what the chapter does, and how we provide services. I'd like to step it up a bit, too, though, add a little spice to some of the posts.

And, of course, coming up with a way to incorporate the digital portfolios. I really think these would be a fantastic way for my students to have input at their IEP meetings, but the goal of most of the meetings is to get done as soon as possible. I have some problems with that, although I do understand why getting them done & over is important. But I really bought into the self-determination thing when I was in grad school for transition planning.

Ideas are, as always, welcome!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was interested in your comment regarding the quality of student work when using some of these Web 2.0 tools. Over the past year, I have really been focusing on this idea of quality of work not quantity. It seems so difficult to achieve because quality takes time and planning and I think that time is often in short supply. I have found that giving guiding templates and modeling have helped but you don't want to draft something to death. That would take away from the blogging process I think.

Sonia said...

Both your blogs have really opened my eyes to what can be done with blogs. The red cross blog is really interesting. I did not know that you could include videos!

MS said...

@Holly: I found one of my issues to be that the students viewed the computer time as play time because they were using Internet-based tools. It became a real issue toward the end of the year, and it isn't one I can come up with a good way to solve. It wasn't lack of templates or rubrics, but the fact that the initial work was always done on the computer. For some reason, the students felt this meant it wasn't the same as "real work".

@Sonia:
Thank-you. :)