Thursday, September 6, 2007

Replies to Comments

I am doing this because I really cannot find a place on Blogger that allows me to respond to comments. I know it is there somewhere, because I've seen other bloggers do it, but I sure can't find it!

Good evening, Regan!
Thank-you for the comment. I am not sure about any liabilities within Precision Teaching. I do have some concerns about using it at the high school level because I really think that students as this level should be doing more problem-solving & higher-order thinking skills. These are skills that are much in demand from businesses, and have been noted as being something that many students do not have when leaving school. You can look at the SCANS report to get more specific detail on how businesses look at education. If we are needing to teach these students fluency and direct instruction in this fashion, I worry that they aren't getting the skills they'll need for later.
My school did listen to that, and accepted my view, which I found incredibly refreshing. I will look to see if students who improve fluency also improve in their ability to synthesize knowledge. Have you seen that increase as well?

SueJ:
You're probably right. I am new at the professional blogger thing. I had my students due some blogging briefly last year, but it wasn't something that was a total success. We had bandwidth issues. I've changed the provider that we're using for blogging this year, and also provided each student in my functional academic class with their own. I'm looking forward to getting them on-line, and hope to do it tomorrow when I see them. I'd like to give them all a "homework" assignment to have them go to their blogs and log in to make a small "Hi, how are you" type post... But, quite a number of my students do not have access at home, and of those students, only one of them ever makes an attempt to go to the school library or community library and log-in.
We will have initial projects based around the Salute for Seuss project that we're participating in by sometime next week. I'm actually going to go make a post about that in a few minutes.

No comments: