Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Bookmarking

My students always have problems getting to a website that I want them to use for a class. We have tried using a variety of on-line sites and lists in Microsoft Word. Last year, I was introduced to a site called PortaPortal, which I liked because it was available at school (not blocked!) and because I could set up categories to put the bookmarks in. By using categories like this, my students can find "pictures" and look for the specific link, or "free time" and choose a game without my help. The only thing that would make it better is if the bookmarks had pictures! I've considered using del.icio.us as well, but I am worried it might be too complicated. Today, I discovered that I could export the PortaPortal links, by category, to a document which will then open in IE! I can now send my students to our global drive, and they can just find the link instead of having to retype it.
When I have, I think I'll add some Boardmaker pictures to ease the reading requirements, which then adds the pictures that I figured would make it better. You can look at the text list here
On other fronts, just about everybody has finished their Illustrated Poems, and I'm looking forward to introducing the next unit & project. The students surprised me today when I told them we'd be moving forward on Thursday by wanting to know NOW what the next project would be!

No comments: