Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Independent Computer Use

Since the students that I work with have difficulties with organization, language and short-term memory, it is very difficult for them to use the computer independently.
One of my priorities in my classroom, and a wish that I have for all of my students is that they are able to work as independently as possible, and be successful as adults. Obviously, successful as a goal means different things for different people, but for most jobs computers & technology are important. If my students can learn some basic computer skills, including some of the creative skills like scanning items, using a digital camera, and PowerPoint, they are that much farther. It is even better if they are able to use the tools on their own without additional live support.
In my classroom, I often require that they ask a peer, and retry before they ask me or our teaching assistant (if there is one). To this end, I've created a set of Computer How To files that students can refer to in order to use the computer on their own.
There are how-to pages for logging on the school network, saving to a flash drive, printing a digital photograph, and posting to their blogs. Here is a link to the computer howto files on my wiki: Computer How To's

No comments: