Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Best Buy Grant

I guess its probably time for me to make a blog entry about the Best Buy Grant. Back in September, I filled in the application, and figured "why not?". A lot of the grant was actually completed in the Seattle-Tacoma airport just before & on the flight back from the Microsoft Conference. I sent it in with mere hours to spare. The website said we'd hear in February....

Fast forward to Februrary, and I flew to Texas for the Red Cross training (see: Austin Texas-RMC. Due to weather, the flights landed considerably later than expected, and so I did not check my email until late that evening. I was sitting in the hotel lobby with a few other Red Cross folks and just squealed. Literally. One of the volunteers asked me what was wrong, and I read the email out loud. The next morning, I called my high school before we went into the session, and my supervising principal had just read the email as well.

We received a $2000 grant that will allow me to add audio, and digital video to the student projects that we've been doing all year. I'm still working on coming up with a buy list of hardware; we are definitely going to be purchasing some digital camcorders and digital voice recorders along with some consumable media (CDs, DVDs, etc). The rest is a bit up in the air... we were considering a computer station, but it turns out the school has an XP multimedia machine that we can have, and since they've installed the Promeathean Boards, I should be getting one of the now extra LCD projectors. Those were my two big ticket items, so we'll see. I wish Best Buy sold the interactive whiteboards... I would love to find one that would fit in my room!

No comments: