Tuesday, March 4, 2008

If it's good for you, it's good for me

As a teacher, I often find myself in the position of having to recommend tools that I think would make learning and work easier. And an equal number of times, the student complains, usually because the learning curve makes the learning temporarily more difficult since they are learning 2 new things instead of just 1.
Well, as it turns out, I have an opportunity to use a word prediction program. While I was in Texas, it seems that I broke my wrist. My right wrist.
The pluses: By using standard accessibility features in Windows, I have fewer problems. I am using Mouse Keys, and Sticky Keys. For typing I am getting some assistance from WordQ version 2. Its definitely not as fast as I usually am, but it does make things easier for longer writing, and my students were encouraged by seeing me use tools similar to what I recommend for them. It doesn't necessarily ease the learning curves, or the frustration of looking different, but it might help a little.

No comments: