Friday, June 6, 2008

Awesome Achievements

There are times that I wonder why I ever decided to become a teacher. Its usually after I've been flipped the bird, or had a string of curse words describe my family & parentage. The feeling also shows up at times with administrators. Its hard not to take those things personally, even though I logically know I should not. And there are other times where I know exactly why I made the choice I did.

Last evening, I was privileged to watch several members of the senior class receive scholarships & academic awards from community groups. At the evening ceremony, I used the camcorder we purchased with the Best Buy grant to video tape the events. This morning, I watched more of those seniors receive awards for participation in clubs, academic & sporting success. A few of the highlights from this morning's ceremony that stuck in my mind: Almost all of the seniors from the functional academic program participated in the senior processional. This particular group was the first class I taught at my current school, and they did a wonderful job. I was able to watch several members of the community service club I've co-sponsored receive awards, including one student receiving the bronze level Presidential Volunteer Service Award.
Today was the last day for most of our seniors, and although the students from the functional academic program will return next year as post-graduates to work on campus and continue their education, its not really the same. Prom is tomorrow evening, and I am sure that, as with the last 2 years, I'll need those extra tissues that I always forget to shove in my purse. I'll probably also need them next Friday at the club's end of year gathering, and at graduation a few days later.

No comments: