Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Masters of Disaster Adaptations

For those who heard about the MoD adaptations that were created by myself & the Loudoun County, Virginia Red Cross can look here for the Intellitools Classroom Suite files. The first module, Disaster Safety & Preparedness are available here.
Please note: The current Classroom Suite files are in Version 3. They are compatible for version 4, but once saved in version 4 they will no longer work in version 3. I hope to have time this summer to port the older activities to Version 4 over the summer as well as create the activities for the Fire Safety module.

If you are interested in print activities, and can provide proof that you have purchased a kit (or several kits) for either your chapter or schools & other groups in your area, I'm happy to email you the PDF files. If you would prefer to receive a CD of the print activities along with the IntelliTools activities, please contact me. There will likely be a minimal cost for the purchase of CDs and shipping.
I'm choosing to require proof of purchase for the paper activities in order to protect the copyright on the MoD kit. Groups that use the computer-based activities will typically have students that cannot access the print kit at all and so need more assistance to get this important information to their students & clients.

I would also like to thank the parents who previewed the activities for me before they were released, IntelliTools, Inc. for hosting the files in their activity exchange, and Mayer-Johnson, Inc. for allowing us to use the Boardmaker-PCS symbols in the activities without charge.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am want to learning more of this Master of Disaster Adaptaions. Actually I want to know the master of Disaster before the adaptation. For your information I lived in Indonesia, one the countries in the world that has long history of disasters such as tsunami in Aceh and Padang last year. I was once work with the National Agency for Disaster Management and just retired and I want to write book for children K-15 and appreciated if I could have references on curriculum for kids K-15.

BesT Regards

Adik Bandoro
Indonesia

MS said...

@Adik:
My apologies: Although I moderate comments for the blog, Blogger never showed your comment to me.
I would suggest that you look at the Red Cross's website; nothing that I've made is unique, it is all based off of the Master's of Disaster curriculum that the Red Cross publishes. The adaptations I made require specialized software from a company called IntelliTools (http://www.intellitools.com). The software lets you make activities for students with disabilities or young children (K-3). If you have the software, the activities are available to download on their website. If you can show me that you have the Red Cross print curriculum, I can email you the print resources that we've made.
The project was mostly shelved because of budget cuts at Red Cross National Headquarters, and because I no longer teach a population that would benefit from the modifications.